AS Professional Staff Mission
We, the UCSB AS Professionals, empower, mentor, guide and support UCSB students to deepen and enhance civic engagement and social responsibility by:
- Facilitating learning through student initiated projects and programs.
- Ensuring student inclusion in shared governance of the university.
- Initiating and facilitating collaboration within the UCSB community and beyond.
- Safeguarding the continuity, financial stability and institutional memory of the AS organization for current and future students.
- Respecting student agency to create their own path.
AS PROFESSIONAL VALUES:
- Teamwork: being respectful, seeking common ground as we do our work, and being honest, trustworthy, and straightforward. Being cooperative without compromising our independence.
- Professionalism: following accepted and ethical standards of our areas of expertise; doing our work fairly and with integrity; representing our recommendations to our stakeholders accurately, and with a sense of proportion; and completing our work thoroughly and timely so that it is available and relevant to inform stakeholders’ decisions.
- Flexibility: thinking creatively, adopting new ways of addressing issues tailored to unique circumstances, and building on successful processes to make them better.
- Accountability: taking responsibility for completing high quality work.
AS ORGANIZATIONAL VALUES:
- Creating a public sphere
- Critical thinking
- Diversity: respecting each other and amplifying the strengths that come from true respect for diversity
- Education & Knowledge
- Open mindedness
- Social change